350 S. Northwest Highway, Suite 300, Park Ridge, IL 60068

Call Today for Your FREE Consultation Call Us847-232-7180
Quinn Law Group, LLC
Recent blog posts

Park Ridge, IL premises liability lawyerSnowfall puts us a little closer to the holiday season. The colder weather also makes it tempting to stay indoors and forget about shoveling the snow. You may opt to have packages and food dropped off at your front door so you never have to leave home. But what if the delivery folks take a tumble and fall? Falling on a patch of snow or ice can be painful and dangerous. Who is liable if they, or a guest on your property, slip and fall because you failed to remove the snow?

Natural Accumulation of Snow

Under state law, no one is required to remove snow from their private property. People are encouraged to remove the snow but it is not mandated under the law. Since you are not required to do anything with the snow that naturally accumulated on your sidewalk as the homeowner you are protected from liability. The law only makes a homeowner liable for any personal injuries if they remove snow or ice from sidewalks in a manner that would intentionally harm another person.

Unnatural Snowfall Creates Liability

To have an actionable claim against a property owner you must show that the property owner aggravated a natural condition or that the snowfall was not natural. If the property owner intentionally pours water on the sidewalk so that it freezes, the owner would be responsible for injuries. 


Park Ridge, IL premises liability lawyerDepartment stores will soon be bustling with holiday shoppers and after-hours toasts will abound. But a fall can quickly put an end to that holiday cheer. Maybe flooring hazards are to blame or perhaps too much eggnog. If you slip and fall during the holiday season, depending on the situation, you may have a premises liability case on your hands.

Is Your Fall Due to a Property Owner’s Negligence or Your Own?

Sometimes accidents are caused by a property owner’s negligence. A fall can lead to serious injuries resulting in broken bones, concussions, and back injuries. Commercial property owners are responsible for the safety of their guests, so they need to properly maintain the facility and have warnings informing guests about any unsafe conditions.

However, a property owner is likely to try to pin the fault for a fall on a patron. In Illinois, there is a law called modified comparative negligence. If the court determines that your actions contributed to your fall, any settlement could be significantly lower than it may have been if it was not your fault. If it is determined that you are 50 percent or more at fault, you may not get any compensation at all.


Park Ridge, IL daycare injury lawyerParents trust childcare facilities to provide a safe environment for their children. Unfortunately, accidents happen. When a child is injured while in the care of a daycare, the question then becomes: Who is liable?

In Illinois, daycare facilities are held to the same standard of care as any other business that provides childcare services. This means that the daycare must take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the children. In many cases, child-related injuries are directly related to a facility's substandard practices or negligent care.

If your child has been injured while in the care of a daycare, afterschool program, preschool, or another childcare facility, you may be able to file a personal injury claim against the facility. An experienced Illinois personal injury attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options.


Des Plaines car crash lawyer

Auto accidents can take a massive toll on a person physically, emotionally, and financially. Fortunately, Illinois law allows car accident victims to pursue financial compensation for their damages. The at-fault driver, or more likely, the at-fault driver's insurance company, may be required to pay for vehicle damage, medical bills, and other damages. However, in a multi-car accident, determining the at-fault driver can be challenging. For example, if a motorist is rear-ended and the force of the collision causes him or her to strike another vehicle, who is at fault? Which driver is liable for injuries? 

Liability in a Rear-End Car Crash 

In most rear-end car crashes, the rear driver is liable. Drivers are expected to keep enough distance between their vehicle and the vehicle in front of them to avoid a collision. However, there are circumstances in which the rear driver is not at fault.  If the lead driver cuts off the rear driver or slams on his or her brakes without warning, the rear driver may not be liable. 


cook county car accident lawyerCar accidents can be traumatic experiences for anyone to endure, especially if there is an injury involved. Even the most careful drivers can be involved in an accident at any given time. After a car accident takes place, it is accustomed for a law-abiding citizen to stop, survey the damage, contact the police, and exchange information with the other driver. They may also choose to contact an attorney. However, not everything happens as planned in the real world. What happens if the individual who hit your vehicle flees the scene? 

According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, a hit-and-run accident takes place every minute in the United States. Cook County, the most populous county in Illinois, is home to many hit-and-run accidents, particularly on busy freeways such as I-90 and I-294. Unfortunately, these active areas are often viewed as optimal areas to flee the scene of an accident. As a result, victims of hit-and-runs may be concerned that they may be ineligible for compensation since the liable party fled the scene. However, this is not necessarily true.

How Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help Your Situation?

In a hit-and-run accident, it can be difficult for the victim to accurately identify the car that hit them. The at-fault party may escape culpability for the crash. Fortunately, victims may still be entitled to financial compensation through their uninsured motorist coverage. If you were hurt in a hit-and run, a knowledgeable lawyer may be able to help you file a claim with your own insurance company and seek financial compensation for vehicle damage, medical bills, and more.

Back to Top