350 S. Northwest Highway, Suite 300, Park Ridge, IL 60068

Call Today for Your FREE Consultation Call Us847-232-7180
Quinn Law Group, LLC

Can I Sue After a Hit-and-Run in Illinois?

 Posted on April 23, 2024 in Blog Post

Glenview hit-and-run accident lawyerHit-and-run car accidents are some of the most challenging types of vehicle accidents to deal with. After a hit-and-run accident, you may want to attempt to file a claim for compensation and hold the other driver accountable, but this is difficult when you cannot identify the other driver. Fortunately, there are still ways that Illinois law allows those involved in a hit-and-run car accident to recover compensation.

An experienced Illinois hit-and-run accident attorney can help you navigate Illinois laws if you wish to pursue a lawsuit.

Common Causes of a Hit-and-Run Accident

Hit-and-run accidents occur when one driver who is involved in or at fault for a vehicle accident decides to flee the scene. This is especially common if an accident happens along a major highway, such as I-294, I-90, I-190, or I-94.

In most cases, drivers may flee because they feel they are in the wrong or were committing an illegal activity at the time of the accident. However, doing this is a crime in Illinois, leading to further issues for drivers who flee.

Common causes that may lead to a driver leaving the scene of an accident include:

  • Driving without a valid driver’s license or insurance
  • Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Driving with active arrest warrants
  • Driving a stolen vehicle
  • Panic or fear after the accident

Some drivers may also leave an accident because they do not want their insurance premiums to increase once the incident has been reported.

How Do I Pursue a Claim After an Illinois Hit-and-Run?

In Illinois, there are two main ways to receive the compensation you deserve after a hit-and-run accident. If law enforcement officers are able to locate and identify the driver who fled the scene, they will be charged with a crime, and you can file a lawsuit against them for compensation in court.

Alternatively, if you cannot locate the driver involved in a hit-and-run, you can seek compensation through your insurance policy. Typically, you will need to look at your uninsured motorist coverage to see how much compensation you can get. A lawyer can also help you navigate your claim with an insurance company.

Contact a Glenview, IL Hit-and-Run Accident Attorney

Hit-and-run accidents can be catastrophic, and the aftermath of seeking compensation for your damages is complex. A knowledgeable Park Ridge, IL hit-and-run accident lawyer is the right choice for navigating your legal options after this type of accident.

At Quinn Law Group, LLC, Attorney Patrick Quinn has extensive experience working with insurance companies and ensuring his clients receive the compensation they deserve. Call 847-232-7180 for a free consultation. 

Share this post:
Back to Top