350 S. Northwest Highway, Suite 300, Park Ridge, IL 60068

Call Today for Your FREE Consultation Call Us847-232-7180
Quinn Law Group, LLC

Beginning Steps to Filing an Auto Accident Claim in Illinois

 Posted on June 15, 2018 in Blog Post

IL accident lawyerCar accidents can be scary and traumatic, and the last thing you want to think about is insurance claims, but that should be one of the first things on your mind. You have to begin your claims process almost immediately after a car accident, or you might cause yourself more trouble than the actual accident. Dealing with insurance companies and claims can be stressful, but if you have someone who is well-versed in car accident claims, such as an attorney, you can save yourself some of the anxiety.

Report Your Accident to the Police

The first thing you should do after an accident is report it to police. You should also take note of details of the accident, such as:

  • The date and time of the incident;
  • The order in which events happened;
  • The weather conditions at the time;
  • The driver’s license number and license plate numbers of any other cars involved;
  • Any personal harm to yourself; and
  • Any damage to your vehicle.

It is also a good idea to take photos of the damage to your car and the other person’s car to provide to the insurance company.

In the state of Illinois, you are required to file a crash report if the crash involved bodily injury, death or more than $1,500 worth of damage. You must also file a report with the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) within 10 days of the accident.

Exchange Information

Exchanging information with all other parties involved in the accident will be crucial to filing a successful claim. You should write down the other parties’:

  • Names;
  • Addresses;
  • Insurance information;
  • Driver’s license numbers;
  • License plate numbers; and
  • Vehicle descriptions.

You should also try to find any witnesses to your accident and write down their names, addresses, and phone numbers.

Call Your Insurance Company

You should also call your insurance company as soon as possible after an accident. They will be able to help guide you through the next steps of the claims process. They can also help you arrange for a tow truck if your car is undrivable and a rental car until your car is fixed. By calling your insurance company, you can help save yourself unneeded expenses.

Call a Park Ridge Car Accident Attorney

If you have been in a car accident, you know how stressful, trying and anxiety-ridden these types of situations can be. Insurance companies are not always the easiest to deal with, which is why you need the help of an experienced Glenview car accident attorney. Contact the Quinn Law Group, LLC to begin your claims process. Call 847-232-7180 to schedule a consultation.






Share this post:
Back to Top